|Series Launchers (Teacher Presentation Book) By Novel Ideas, Inc. |
Download Product Sample (.PDF)
Series Launchers written by Terry Dodds and Fay Goodfellow
Series Launchers© is a Direct Instruction program that provides short novel studies which introduce students to popular series of children’s chapter books. Each novel study is designed to offer two to three weeks of instruction. Lessons include vocabulary exercises, guided story reading, comprehension activities, test practice, and written expression activities. The goal of Series Launchers is to establish confidence in young readers who are working in Direct Instruction reading programs to become independently involved in a choice reading program.
Teacher Presentation Book
• Fully scripted lessons with BLMs for overheads if required.
• Decoding exercises include initial decoding, firming it up, and practice to the mastery level.
• Vocabulary Words and Expression exercises provide the teacher with a clear instructional routine for helping students enlarge their reading and speaking vocabulary.
• Guided reading includes literal and abstract questions in accordance with state standards. Literary analysis skills are an important part of the guided reading procedure. Each day’s reading begins with a “What’s Happened So Far.”
• Reading fluency is developed through a checkout procedure that begins with a teacher model, silent reading practice, an un-timed partner checkout, then progresses to a timed partner checkout, and culminates in a teacher directed checkout. A chart for calculating and recording reading rate progress is provided.
TEACHER REMINDER: The teacher and each student will need a copy of the novel being studied. All of the included titles may be ordered at:
Classroom Library Company
3901 Union Blvd., Suite 155
St. Louis, MO 63115